A Wife Loved Like The Church

The Time Hannah Overdosed on Flintstones

Posted on: March 27, 2012

Last Saturday morning started off with a nice peaceful feel. It was oddly productively lazy. The house was clean, the kids were playing nicely and there was a calm that hovered over. A calm before the storm.

Around 11 am, as we are all getting ready to leave for a friend’s birthday party, Hannah asked to have a vitamin. As I got the bottle, she asked to take out the vitamin herself. I obliged. Then she asked if she could give one to Julia. I obliged. And then, in the busyness of getting ready, I lost track of the bottle.

After some time, Hannah came up to me, vitamin bottle in hand, and said “Mama, there’s only two left!

We immediately start questioning Hannah as to where the vitamins were. Turns out she ate them. We aren’t completely certain, but our closest estimate is that Hannah consumed about 30 iron fortified chewable vitamins.

I immediately called my mom {who’s a nurse}, while Jonathan started searching on Google for overdose risk. My mom calmly advised that we take her to urgent care, just to make sure that nothing serious happens. And then Jonathan read this ::

Iron overdose is considered a leading cause of poisoning-related death in young children.

Let me just say – that one sentence can evoke a fear I didn’t know existed. Before I knew what happened, Jonathan grabbed Hannah and rushed her to the ER. Over the next 3 hours, they ran tests and X-rays on Hannah to determine her toxicity level.

Being the parent that stays behind is painful. For the first hour and a half, I only got information as Jonathan was able to text it. Once the X-ray was complete and the radiologist was consulted, the doctor said that Hannah was on the lower end of being in danger {quote “a 3 out of 10”}. She and Jonathan were sent home where we were to monitor her for vomiting, diarrhea and lethargic behavior.

With in 30 minutes of being home, Hannah began exhibiting all the signs the doctor described. We went on a “watch and wait” system to determine if we needed to have her re-admitted. We prayed and decided to keep her home and let her nap {by this time it was a good two hours past her normal naptime}. She curled up in our bed with Jonathan, were they both slept off the eventful morning.

By that evening, Hannah said she felt much better. She was still having a few GI issues, but was holding down her food and drink. We had her sleep in our room overnight so we could be nearby in case any issues arose. Thankfully they didn’t, and by Sunday morning, the vitamin fiasco was like a bad dream.

Funny enough, when I was Hannah’s age, I overdosed on some children’s medicine. Looks like the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Did you ever overdose as a child? If you have kids, have you ever had an overdose scare?

Advertisements

16 Responses to "The Time Hannah Overdosed on Flintstones"

That is crazy! Soooo glad she is okay!

Oh man Sarah! I’m so glad to hear that Hannah is fine after that. I agree that being the parent that stays behind is really difficult!

Oh how scary! I’m so glad she’s doing fine now. Jacob did the same thing with gummy vitamins but I don’t think he ate as many – even still, the panic and worry is intense.

Oh I can only imagine the terror that iron poison sentence brought into your heart/mind. Glad you are all ok!

So glad Hannah is ok and it sounds like you and Jonathan really handled it like pros! I’m sure it was very difficult and scary! Evan would probably do the same thing if he got his Flintstones vitamins. I am thankful that you have also reminded me to go hide the rest of our meds to higher grounds…

You know what? Thanks a million for this post- we don’t normally have the gummy type vitamins in our house, just because Harrison has always done ok with the regular kids chewables but I must admit, I never once knew that gummy vitamins could be poisonous. Call me ignorant, but now I’m not, thanks to your post. They do resemble candy and sadly, I guess that has taken away some of their “dangerousness” in my eyes and they should be right up there in the medicine cabinet just like all the rest, should we acquire them. Thanks, Sarah!

It was crazy scary, but I’m grateful that we can laugh about it now. Our friends were even joking about calling Hannah “iron girl”. Ha! Praise God for covering my sweet little girl and not letting this accident turn into something heart breaking.

Ellie overdosed on fiber gummies a few months ago. Well, needless to say she had the runs for about a day and a half and fear of all gummy vitamins that looked similar. She likes the Tinkerbell gummy vitamins (opaque, light-colored, rolled in sugar) and when we were out of those, we bought the Disney Princess gummy vitamins, which look like regular fruit snacks and much like the fiber gummies. Well, she wouldn’t even take her normal dose of 2 gummies of those princess ones because of the trauma of having the runs after the overdose of the look-alike fiber gummies. We had to go ahead and buy the Tinkerbell ones again instead.

That’s so scary! It was a genius idea to turn vitamins into something that kids wanted to take (my sister called them bna-bnums when she was younger.) You never think of it going too far in the other direction!

I’m glad she’s ok.

Oh Sarah! I remember when we thought our 2nd child was super sick and had to rush him to Urgent Care. I know that gut-wrenching feeling and wouldn’t wish it upon anyone! I am so glad God’s sovereign had was upon her. This is the kind of accident that could happen to any family. Thank you for your willingness to share your story with us. Good reminder to keep those things high and away!

How scary, Sarah! I’m so glad things turned out fine and Hannah felt better so quickly! I’m impressed with how quickly and calmly you reacted!

Wow! I don’t know how you held it together being home while he had her at the hospital. Praise God for keeping Hannah safe. Good to know about the iron. My girls eat Flinstone vitamins but I don’t think they are iron fortified. I’ll have to check. 🙂

Well that is horrifying! I had an overdose scare when my daughter was an infant. I gave her Tylenol in the middle of the night, only half thinking, she gets 2 droppers full. Then realized after the fact, no she gets 1 dropper and my son gets 3. $%^&*! Called poison control and after asking a ton of questions, she assured me she was well within healthy range. I felt like such a bad mom! Then had to confess to my husband the whole ordeal in the morning. Anyway, glad Hannah is all better now!!!

How scary! So thankful God made our bodies so perfect!

Thanks for sharing your experience it’s helped us not panic too much. My daughter HAS to get the vitamin out of the bottle as well, so we made the same mistake! We were unloading groceries and forgot about the vitamins as well until she reminded us by bringing the bottle back to us. We believe she took 12 or less hopefully b/c the bottle was brand new. She seems fine and i figure she’ll be okay. Comparing 12 vitamins to your Hannah’s 30 is child’s play i guess? Lol Thanks and we’re glad Hannah was ok!

That’s why i only buy the Flinstone vitamins that do not contain iron!!!!!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow Me on Twitter

%d bloggers like this: